Table of Contents:
- Guiding Principle:
Anything that harms or interferes with our event’s reputation or operations is not permitted.
- Con Badges and Admission:
Con badges must be worn where visible at all times while in convention space.
- Our Rating:
Between 8am and 9pm, CanFURence activities and event space are rated PG. After 9pm, the rating becomes PG-13.
NO alcohol EXCEPT where explicitly permitted in designated areas.
- Smoking, e-cigarette and vaping:
In accordance with venue policy, indoor smoking, e-cigarette and vape use is prohibited.
- Event Space and Hotel Rooms:
Be considerate of our hosts and your fellow attendees.
- Props, weapons and related items:
No real weapons, or weapons that appear real.
Consent applies - ‘No’ means ‘NO!’.
- Inclusivity and Discrimination
Harassment or discrimination is not tolerated; we stand by our goal of being Stronger Together.
- Selling or Advertising Goods or Services:
Conducting business may only be done with prior approval and in accordance with our vendors policy.
- Pets and Service Animals:
Only service animals are allowed.
- Photography, Recording, and the media:
Media representatives must receive a pre-authorization by CanFURence to be permitted in event space. Audio/Visual Recording Media is not permitted in certain areas.
- Limitation of Liability:
You are responsible for your actions.
Consequences may range from verbal warning to loss of attendance privileges and/or police involvement.
Our goal is to be Stronger Together with those who share an interest in all things anthropomorphic (or ‘furry’) in an environment of acceptance within which we can share our collective interests.
This Code of Conduct is our way to provide a safe and enjoyable ‘furry-friendly’ environment for everyone. It also must ensure we retain a positive reputation and relationship with our venue, the furry community, and the general public. (add - Disclaimer: The convention should be a safe and comfortable space for everyone to socialize and have fun. Do not hesitate to contact a member of event staff to report any incidents or persons that make you feel unsafe.)
In case of any apparent conflict between the provisions of this Code of Conduct and any other policy enacted by CanFURence, this Code of Conduct takes precedence.
Should you have any questions, please e-mail for further information.
1. Guiding Principle
Anything that harms or interferes with our event’s operations or reputation is not permitted.
Our Code of Conduct is not an exhaustive list of do’s and don’ts. Any behaviour that interferes with the operations of CanFURence or harms its reputation is strictly forbidden. This includes, but is not limited to, its relations and reputation with our community, municipality, venue, or the public. This also includes interfering with or disregarding instructions or guidance from CanFURence staff during the performance of their duties.
Impersonation of authority figures or officials, such as convention staff, hotel staff, members of the armed forces, and/or emergency personnel is prohibited.
2. Con Badges and Admission
Con badges must, without exception, be worn where visible at all times while in event space.
- Worn and visible at all times: Your con badge is the only acceptable proof of admission into events space. Our events are private, so all attendees must wear their con badge where readily visible to enter and to remain in con space. Anyone that is not wearing a badge will be asked to leave con space unless accompanied by CanFURence staff or venue staff.
- Non-Transferable: Your con badge cannot be loaned, given, resold, or used by anyone else for any reason during the event.
- Photo I.D.: You must present valid Government issued photo identification that proves your identity and age in order to receive your con badge. This can include a driver’s license, photo ID card, or passport.
- Minors: Minors are event attendees who are under the age of 18 by the event start date. All minors attending the event must have the consent of their parent or legal guardian to attend the con. In addition, any minor that is 15 years old or under MUST be accompanied at all times by a parent, legal guardian, or authorized chaperone while in event space.
- Disclaimer: All con badges remain the property of CanFURence for the duration of the event and must be presented for examination by con staff and surrendered to CanFURence Zookeepers upon request.
- For further information, please consult our Registration Policy.
3. Our Rating
Between 8 AM and 9 PM, CanFURence activities and event space are rated PG.
After 9 PM, the rating becomes PG13.
- PG refers to “Parental Guidance Suggested” which means that some material may not be suitable for young children.
- PG13 signifies “Parents Strongly Cautioned”; some material may be inappropriate for pre-teenagers.
- Attendees must dress, costume, and conduct themselves in accordance with our standard rating at all times, but especially in any area visible to non-attendees or the public. A good general guideline is “would the attire/behaviour be welcome in a public park?”
- Imagery or messages that promote or spread hate are always forbidden.
- Should an attendee be uncertain of the appropriateness of a behaviour or piece of attire, they should seek approval ahead of time via email at or, during events, contact a Zookeeper.
- Any display of item(s) including artwork and merchandise must be limited to PG or made to conform with our PG rating (such as stickers completely obscuring any explicit portion of artwork).
- Exception requests to our standard rating may be submitted to in advance.
- The following applies to approved R-rated events or areas:
- They must be clearly identified as adults-only upon submission panel/event;
- >Proper control must be exercised so that only adults can access them; by attending or interacting with “After Dark” or R-rated panels, you as attendee, acknowledge that you are 18 years of age or older.
- Display of R-rated material must be contained within the designated adults-only event or area. Attendees must ensure that they maintain the event’s PG/PG13 rating when travelling to or from adult events or areas.
NO consumption of alcohol EXCEPT where permitted (hotel bar/restaurant and private hotel rooms); alcohol is not permitted in event space.
Alcohol must only be in the possession of, and only be consumed by, persons of legal drinking age (19 or older in Ontario), and only when served by a venue bartender/waiter and consumed within that venue’s licensed areas; or when consumed in the privacy of your hotel room.
- Alcohol is not served or permitted in event space.
- Alcoholic beverages are permitted only to persons 19 years of age and older by Ontario law. Anyone who provides/serves alcohol to a minor and any person under the age of 19 who consumes alcohol is breaking the law and may have their attendance privileges permanently revoked and/or be reported to the police.
- The sole exception to (i.) is with prior written authorization from the CanFURence chair(s) for special circumstances.
Please enjoy responsibly. While we are all here to have fun, any individual who is intoxicated to the point where they pose a risk to themselves or others will be asked to leave, either temporarily or permanently, at staff discretion.
5. Smoking, e-cigarette and vaping
In accordance with venue policy, smoking, e-cigarette and vape use is prohibited in any hotel room, venue, or balcony.
Smoking, e-cigarettes, and vaping are governed by provincial and municipal laws in addition to the venue’s own policies. You may not smoke or vape within the hotel, any hotel rooms, balconies, or close to entrances to the building.
Attendees are further cautioned that smoking or vaping in hotel rooms is not only against the law, the hotel also reserves the right to charge the renter the full cost of carpet/upholstery cleaning.
6. Event Space and Hotel Rooms
Be considerate of our hosts and your fellow attendees and hotel guests.
- Event Space
- We must remain welcome guests at our venue, without which CanFURence cannot take place. We ask that all attendees treat the area, its employees, and its fixtures with all due care and respect.
- Do not post any notice or advertisement, and do not tape/glue/etc. anything to the walls, doors, windows, ceiling, floors or furniture of our venue without first securing permission from our staff.
- Do not attempt to alter, misuse, damage, or misplace any object within the venue space.
- Attendees are further advised to immediately follow any request from venue employees. In case of disagreement, attendees and CanFURence staff must first comply with the request, then notify Attendee Services and provide details.
- Hotel Rooms
- It is hotel policy that the renter of the room is ultimately responsible for their room’s condition and any use thereof.
- Vandalism of, damage to, or destruction of hotel/venue property may result in severe consequences.
7. Props, weapons and related items
No real weapons, or weapons that appear real.
Important: Any prop that could be mistaken for an actual weapon, even to a casual observer, at a quick glance, and from a distance, must first be inspected and approved by CanFURence Zookeepers.
- No real firearms permitted (except for law enforcement officers within their jurisdiction).
- CanFURence Zookeepers have the authority to approve, deny, or restrict the carry, display, and/or use of any particular weapon or item at CanFURence.
- CanFURence Zookeepers may apply additional conditions such as ‘only during specific events’. Decisions may be appealed to the Head of Zookeepers.
- No weapon or item may be brandished, aimed at anyone or otherwise displayed in a threatening manner. Projectile launching devices (including foam dart and water guns) may never be loaded or contain propellant of any kind. Furthermore, projectiles/propellants for such devices may not be brought into event space. Requests for exceptions must be submitted in advance to for review and approval by CanFURence Zookeepers.
- Lasers or laser sights may not be used in event space at any time.
Disclaimer: For the protection of our attendees and our events, CanFURence reserves the right to revoke all previously granted prop carrying privileges at any time. The item(s) must immediately be removed from the event space. The decision may be appealed to the Head of Zookeepers when available.
Consent is absolute and can be revoked at any time — “No means no”.
- Behaviour towards another individual or group that is generally considered unacceptable will not be tolerated. This includes, but not limited to intimidation; threats; unwelcome contact; or stalking. If someone has stated they no longer wish to interact with you, stop immediately.
- Attendees are encouraged to immediately report any such incident to CanFURence Zookeepers, to Attendee Services or to a CanFURence Staff member. CanFURence wants to ensure your safety. This is our highest priority.
- CanFURence is not the place to start or continue disputes and we will not be expected to intervene. CanFURence events are gathering places where people can meet and share common interests. Behaviour that is disruptive and/or harmful will not be tolerated.
- Costume does not equal consent.
- When wearing a fursuit or costume, vision and hearing can be significantly impaired. Please ensure you get the attention of the person in costume to gain their consent BEFORE you interact with them.
- Be respectful. Do NOT physically engage individuals in costume without consent; This includes behavior such as hugging; lifting; tackling/fur-piling; or pulling their tails.
- The emotional or physical states of an individual in costume are not openly visible to others. Ailments or personal concerns can make some interaction unpleasant or unwanted for some persons in costume. Respect their expressed limits and give them space.
9. Inclusivity and discrimination
Harassment or discrimination is not tolerated.
This includes but is not limited to the spreading, supporting, and/or sympathizing with discrimination based on race, colour, national origin or ancestry, creed or religion, sex, or gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or age.
- Cultural appropriation
We do not tolerate the use, application or display of aspects from another culture without proper understanding or respect.
Examples include reinforcement of stereotypes, skewing or inaccurate representation of the culture, use that conflicts with the intended purpose of aspects of said culture, or intent to discriminate.
- Hate groups, speech, symbols and/or imagery
Symbolism, attire, and rhetoric associated with hate speech are not permitted, nor will promotion or recruitment for any hate group be tolerated.
10. Selling or Advertising Goods or Services
Only by authorized businesses/dealers, and in designated areas.
Advertising or selling goods or services must be pre-approved by CanFURence and is permitted only in designated areas. To enquire about becoming a dealer, please contact us at .
11. Pets and Service Animal Teams
Only service animals are allowed.
- Non-service animals are not permitted in event space. Requests for exceptions must be submitted in advance to
- Service animals are not pets. Attendees should never interact with a service animal without the handler’s permission, and should give the animal the space they need to assist their handler.
- At all times while in event space, the handler is responsible for:
- Ensuring their service animal is readily identifiable as such, either by a harness or vest on the dog and/or documentation from a registered healthcare professional attesting that they require a service animal
- Ensuring that the handler or handler’s support person is in control of the service animal at all times while in convention or hotel space
- Making reasonable efforts to ensure the wellbeing of their service animal, such as being attentive to signs of distress indicating the service animal may be overwhelmed
- Making reasonable efforts to ensure that the service animal has minimal impact on the event’s operations, e.g. by ensuring that the service animal does not block passageways or cause disruptions
- To notify a CanFURence staff member immediately if the service animal urinates, defecates, or vomits in event space
- CanFURence will treat all service animals as extensions of the handler or the handler’s support person. As such, any Code of Conduct violations caused by service animals may result in one or more of the actions listed in section 14 to be taken against the service animal and/or the handler(s).
12. Photography, Recording, and the Media
Photography and recording are not permitted in certain areas.
Media representatives (amateur and professional) must receive a pre-authorization by CanFURence.
- Photography is not permitted in designated areas such as the Headless Lounge.
- Consent must be obtained prior to photographing or videographing:
- People, even if they are in costume/fursuit
- Artwork and merchandise
- Attendance to certain live events automatically grants implicit consent with regards to photos and videos. Please see the con book for the listed events.
- CanFURence is a private event. Consequently, media/influencers/reporters are permitted in event space ONLY after registering as media with, and obtaining a media pass from CanFURence. To obtain an accreditation to cover a CanFURence event, please see our Media Policy.
- Representatives of the media must always ask for consent prior to interviewing, photographing, filming or otherwise recording an attendee. Consent may be revoked (while the representative of the media is in the event space) if the attendee feels uncomfortable or misrepresented, or if they change their mind.
- Attendees must behave responsibly when interviewed by, or in the presence of any media.
- Should an attendee experience or witness any interactions involving representatives of the media which they believe to be inappropriate (violation of consent, misrepresentation, etc.), they should immediately seek the assistance of a CanFURence staff member.
- CanFURence reserves the right to take photographs or video footage for promotional purposes. CanFURence also reserves the right to deny photography and/or videography at any time for any reason.
13. Limitation of Liability
By registering for and attending an event organized by CanFURence Anthropomorphics Events Inc., you agree that our organization and its associated directors, committees, staff and volunteers shall be indemnified and held unaccountable from any damage or loss of personal property, as well as any personal injury or death arising out of your attendance at the event.
This agreement is binding upon you, as well as your heirs, next of kin, executors and administrators. If the attendee is under 18, the parent or legal guardian must agree on their behalf.
Code of Conduct violations may result in one or more of the following actions taken against those responsible:
- Warning issued by CanFURence Staff or Security;
- Suspension of access to one or more areas of CanFURence;
- Temporary or indefinite revocation of attendance/participation in all CanFURence activities and events, without refund;
- Further action taken by hotel/venue management;
- Notification and involvement of law enforcement;
- Civil and/or criminal prosecution.
The overwhelming majority of those who attend and participate in our events do so for their enjoyment and the betterment of the furry community.
You have our gratitude for remaining considerate of others and upholding our community’s positive reputation and values.
Remember, we are Stronger Together!