CanFURence Code Of Conduct
- 1. Guiding Principle: Anything that harms or interferes with our event’s reputation or operations is not permitted.
- 2. Con Badges & Admission: Con badges must be worn where visible at all times while in convention space.
- 3. Our Rating: CanFURence activities and event space are rated “PG”.
- 4. Alcohol: NO alcohol EXCEPT where permitted.
- 5. Smoking, e-cigarette and vaping: In accordance with venue policy, indoor smoking, e-cigarette and vape use is prohibited.
- 6. Event Space, Hotel Rooms & Room Parties: Be considerate of our hosts and your fellow attendees.
- 7. Weapons and ‘weapon-like’ items/props: No real weapons, or weapons that appear real.
- 8. Harassment: ‘Costume’ does not equal consent. ‘No’ means ‘NO!’.
- 9. Selling or Advertising Goods or Services: Only by businesses/dealers that are authorized by CanFURence, and only in designated areas.
- 10. Pets and Service Animals: Only service animals are allowed.
- 11. Photography, the media, and you: Media representatives are not permitted in convention space unless authorized by CanFURence. Personal photography is allowed in most, but not all, areas.
- 12. Limitation of Liability You are responsible for your own actions.
- 13. Penalties
Our goal is to bring together those who share an interest in anthropomorphic (or ‘furry’) art, literature, animation, and more in an environment of acceptance within which we can share our collective interests.
Our Code of Conduct is our way to ensure our attendees enjoy our event. It also must ensure we retain a positive reputation and relationship with our venue, the furry community, and the general public.
CanFURence’s Code of Conduct contains provisions that apply to many aspects and areas of our events, activities, and promotions. Questions about policies for specific groups or areas (such as vendors, our dealer’s den, ‘Headless Lounge’ or our web forums, for example) should be referred to the appropriate department.
In case of any apparent conflict between the provisions of this Code of Conduct and any other policy enacted by CanFURence, our Code of Conduct shall take precedence.
Nearly all of our Code of Conduct is common sense and is in place to provide a safe and enjoyable ‘furry-friendly’ environment for everyone. Should you have any questions you should e-mail email@example.com for further information.
1. Guiding Principle: Anything that harms or interferes with our event’s reputation or operations is not permitted.
Our Code of Conduct is not an exhaustive list of do’s and don’ts. Any behaviour that harms our reputation or interferes with the operations of CanFURence is strictly forbidden. This includes, but is not limited to, its relations and reputation with our community, municipality, venue, or the public. This also includes interfering with or disregarding instructions or guidance from CanFURence staff during the performance of their duties.
2. Con Badges & Admission: Con badges must, without exception, be worn where visible at all times while in convention space.
- Worn and visible at all times: Your con badge is the only acceptable proof of admission into events and convention space. Our convention is a private event, so all attendees must wear their con badge where readily visible to enter and to remain in con space. Anyone not wearing their badge may be told to leave con space.
- Non-Transferable: Your con badge cannot be loaned, given, resold, or used by anyone else for any reason during the convention.
- Photo I.D.: You must present valid photo identification that proves your identity and age in order to receive your con badge. This can include a driver’s license, Photo ID Card, or passport.
- Minors: Minors are convention attendees who are under the age of 18 by the convention start date. Minors are identified by specifically-marked badges. All minors attending the convention must have the consent of their parent or legal guardian to attend the con. In addition, any minor under the age of 15 MUST be accompanied at all times by a parent, legal guardian, or authorized chaperone while in convention space.
- Disclaimer: All con badges remain the property of CanFURence for the duration of the convention and must be presented for examination by con staff and surrendered to convention security upon request.
3. Our Rating: CanFURence activities and event space are rated “PG”.
- Attendees must clothe, costume, and conduct themselves in accordance with our “PG” rating at all times, but especially in any area visible to non-attendees or the public. A good general guideline is “would the dress/behaviour be welcome in a public park or local library?” Please restrict any conduct that does not conform to this to the privacy of your home or hotel room.
- If you’re not 100% sure, please ask BEFORE wearing clothing, exhibiting items, or behaving in ways that may be unacceptable in convention space.
- Any display of item(s) including artwork and merchandise must be limited to “PG” or made to conform with our “PG’ rating (such as stickers completely obscuring any explicit portion of artwork).
- The sole exception to our “PG” rating is an event, panel, area or item which has been designated as adult-only. One example could be a ‘life drawing’ workshop involving a live model.
- This adult-only designation requires a written agreement with CanFURence’s Directors (firstname.lastname@example.org) made prior to the convention, and is subject to final approval by convention staff.
- Without such written agreement, the “PG” rating must be maintained.
- Access to an adult-only event or area will be strictly controlled, and the adult content will be contained within the designated event/area. Attendees with “Minor” badges will not be allowed access to these areas, events, or items. Attendees must ensure that they maintain the convention’s “PG” rating when travelling to or from adult events or areas.
4. Alcohol: NO alcohol EXCEPT where permitted (hotel bar/restaurant and private hotel rooms); Alcohol is not permitted in convention space.
Alcohol must only be in the possession of, and consumed only by, persons of legal drinking age (19 in Ontario) or older, AND only when served by a venue bartender/waiter and consumed within that venue’s licensed areas; or when consumed in the privacy of your hotel room.
- Alcohol is not served or permitted in event space.
- Alcoholic beverages are permitted only to persons nineteen years of age and older by Ontario law. Anyone who provides/serves alcohol to a minor and any person under the age of 19 who consumes alcohol is breaking the law and may have their attendance privileges permanently revoked and/or be reported to the police.
- The sole exception to (i.) is with prior written authorization from the convention chair(s) for special events, etc.
Last but not least: Please enjoy responsibly. While we are all here to have fun, any individual who is intoxicated to the point where they pose a risk to themselves or others will be asked to leave, either temporarily or permanently, at staff discretion.
5. Smoking, e-cigarette and vaping: In accordance with venue policy, smoking, e-cigarette and vape use is prohibited in any hotel room, venue, or balcony.
Smoking, e-cigarettes, and vaping are governed by provincial and municipal laws in addition to the venue’s own policies. You may not smoke or vape within the hotel, any hotel rooms, balconies, or close to entrances to the building.
Attendees are further cautioned that smoking or vaping in hotel rooms is not only against the law, the hotel also reserves the right to charge the renter the full cost of carpet/upholstery cleaning. This cleaning charge may be in the hundreds of dollars.
6.Event Space, Hotel Rooms & Room Parties: Be considerate of our hosts and your fellow attendees.
a) Convention Space
- We must remain welcome guests at our venue, without which CanFURence cannot take place. We ask that all attendees treat the area, its employees, and its fixtures with all due care and respect.
- Do not post any notices, advertisements, or affix/tape/glue/etc. anything to the walls, ceiling, doors, or floors of our venue without first securing permission from our staff.
- Do not attempt to alter, misuse, damage, or misplace any object within the venue space.
- Attendees are further advised to immediately follow any request from venue employees. In case of disagreement, attendees and staff must first comply with the request then notify convention operations and provide details.
b) Hotel Rooms
- It is hotel policy that the renter of the room is ALWAYS responsible for their room’s condition and any use thereof;
- Vandalism of, damage to, or destruction of hotel/venue property may result in severe consequences including but not limited to revocation of attendance privileges of the convention.
c) Room Parties
We love parties! To ensure individual actions do not adversely affect others, the following rules apply:
- During nighttime hours (11:00pm – 8:00am), noise must not be audible in other hotel rooms. To minimise noise keep doors completely closed with a door hanger sign to knock;
- Room gatherings/parties may not extend into the corridors for any reason – keep doors closed to limit the number of partiers;
- Party hosts and participants are reminded of Rule #4 (providing alcohol to minors is illegal) and Rule 5 (smoking/vaping within hotel rooms is not permitted).
CanFURence staff and security will do their utmost to help resolve noise and conduct complaints, however the hotel reserves the right to take immediate and independent action against any room and occupants thereof who are noisy or disruptive.
Please party responsibly and show courtesy to your fellow hotel guests.
7. Weapons and related items No real weapons, or weapons that appear real.
Important: Unless very obviously a non-realistic toy (to the casual observer at a quick glance and from a distance) ALL props that could be mistaken for actual weapons must first be inspected and approved by convention security.
- No real firearms permitted (except for law enforcement officers within their jurisdiction).
- Convention security have the authority to approve, deny, or restrict the carry, display, and use of any particular weapon or item at CanFURence. Convention security may apply additional conditions such as ‘only during specific events’. Decisions may be appealed to the Head of Security.
- No weapon or item may be brandished, aimed at anyone or otherwise displayed in a threatening manner. The only exception to this is by previous arrangement with convention security and in a designated time and place with clear rules. This may include a stage performance, a NERF tournament, or staged photography session. Decisions may be appealed to the Head of Security.
- Attendees may not use lasers or laser sights in event space. Convention security may at their discretion permit such sights to remain on props if rendered inert (example: batteries removed and/or lens covered).
- Projectile launching devices (including NERF and water guns) may never be loaded or contain propellant of any kind.
- Items carried within event space must immediately be presented for inspection upon request by CanFURence staff. Failure to comply may result in loss of item or convention attendance privileges.
Disclaimer: For the protection of our attendees and our events, CanFURence reserves the right to revoke all previously granted prop carrying privileges at any time. In case of disagreement, the attendee(s) who own/carry such MUST without question first secure the item(s) outside event space before appealing the decision to the head of security. Failure to comply may constitute a serious breach of our Code of Conduct.
8. Harassment: Consent applies — “No means no”.
- Behaviour towards another individual or group that is generally considered unacceptable or harmful, along with any conduct including but not limited to intimidation, threats, unwelcome physical contact, stalking, etc. will not be tolerated. If someone has stated they no longer wish to interact with you, stop.
- Attendees are encouraged to IMMEDIATELY report any such incident to convention security, or to a Staff member. Your safety at the convention is our highest priority, and we want to make sure everyone is able to enjoy the convention as much as possible.
- CanFURence is NOT the place to start or continue disputes. Our staff cannot resolve interpersonal conflicts or preemptively ban someone from attending based solely upon such. Our events are gathering places where one can meet and share common interests with others. Behaviour that is disruptive and detrimental will not be tolerated.
Inclusiveness: We are committed to providing a welcoming environment to all, regardless of race, colour, national origin or ancestry, creed or religion, sex or gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or age. Any harassment or discrimination against any individual or group is unwelcome at our event.
9. Selling or Advertising Goods or Services: Only by businesses/dealers that are authorized by CanFURence, and in designated areas.
- Advertising or selling goods or services may only be undertaken by persons approved by CanFURence;
- Advertising or selling goods or services is permitted only in designated areas;
- Any and all applicable fees due to CanFURence must be paid in full prior to any setup of advertising or sales space;
- Compliance with all applicable local, provincial and federal laws governing the advertising and sale of goods and services remains the vendor’s sole responsibility.
- Vendors are responsible for checking convention badges (and when applicable confirming the age of attendees) while making sales.
- All goods and services advertised or sold must comply with our rating (refer to Rule #3).
10. Pets and Service Animals: Only service animals are allowed.
Pets are not permitted in event space for safety and allergy-related reasons.
Service animals are permitted subject to these conditions:
- Ensure the service animal is readily identifiable as being used by the owner for reasons relating to a disability, for instance by wearing a harness or a vest. Or present to the registration staff documentation from a regulated health professional attesting that the handler requires a service animal;
- The service animal is only permitted when accompanied at all times by, and under the constant control of, its handler;
- For safety reasons only actual (non-sentient) service animals may be leashed to someone else;
- The service animal must be badged at all times while in event space;
- Reasonable efforts are made by the handler to ensure the well-being of the service animal, such as being attentive to signs of distress indicating the service animal may be overwhelmed;
- Notify a CanFURence staff member immediately if the service animal urinates, defecates or vomits in event space.
Attendees should never pet a service animal without their handler’s permission, and give service animals the space they need to assist their handler.
11. Photography, the media, and you: Media representatives are not permitted in convention space unless authorized by CanFURence. Photography is not permitted in certain areas.
- Attendees must behave responsibly when interviewed by, or in the presence of, any media. In the event that attendees are requested to be interviewed by an external media source (i.e. news reporter) and are uncomfortable or unable to comply, please seek the assistance of CanFURence staff.
- CanFURence remains a private event. Consequently, media/reporters are permitted in convention space ONLY after registering as media with, and obtaining a press pass from, CanFURence.
- CanFURence reserves the right to take photographs or video footage for promotional purposes.
- We reserve the right to deny entry to any or all media. We may at our discretion grant conditional entry to media representatives. This may be subject to additional provisions including, but not limited to, escort or supervision by designated staff.
- Photography is NOT permitted in our Art Show or Headless Lounge. No artwork or merchandise may be photographed without first obtaining consent from the artist or dealer.
12. Limitation of Liability
By registering for the convention, and accepting a convention badge, you agree that CanFURence, CanFURence Anthropomorphic Events, Inc. and its associated directors, convention committee, staff and volunteers shall be indemnified and held unaccountable from any damage or loss of personal property, as well as any personal injury or death arising out of your attendance at the convention.
This agreement is binding upon you, as well as your heirs, next of kin, executors and administrators. If the attendee is under 18, the parent or legal guardian must agree on his or her behalf.
As stated previously, much of what is covered in our Code of Conduct relates to ‘worst case’ scenarios. We as an organization must be prepared to address such possibilities but, together with our attendees, do not expect them to occur.
As a group we are dedicated to welcoming and bringing together as many people as possible to join in the furry fun, enjoy our events and, share common interests.
Invoking the sanctions listed below may run contrary to our ‘raison d’être’ however we will not hesitate to do so. This is for the protection of our staff and attendees’ health and safety. It is to ensure our collective right to share and enjoy our friendly, disruption-free, and harassment-free environment.
Code of Conduct violations may result in one or more of the following actions taken against those responsible:
- Warning issued by Convention Staff or Security;
- Suspension of access to one or more areas of CanFURence;
- Temporary or indefinite revocation of attendance/participation in all CanFURence activities and events without refund;
- Further action taken by hotel/venue management;
- Notification and involvement of law enforcement;
- Civil and/or criminal prosecution.
The overwhelming majority of those who attend and participate in our events do so for their enjoyment and the betterment of the furry community. They’re here to share in and promote good fun at CanFURence and in the furry community as a whole.
Odds are you belong to this group. We’d like to express our gratitude to your commitment to make the most of our welcoming, fun-loving environment. You have our thanks for remaining considerate of others and upholding our community’s positive reputation and values.
Based on Universal Code of Conduct (UCC) framework for furry conventions version 1.0, revised 2017/11/01